Friday, July 2, 2010

Graduate School

Even though it is four years away, many parents are already thinking: what can I do to make sure my student gets into the best medical school, law school, dental school, nursing school, veterinary school, etc? As a student who is applying to Medical School this summer let me offer you some advice about things that my parents did and maybe some that I wish they had done.

1. Encourage their dreams, but allow them to find their own path. College is a journey and there are many twists and turns on the road to graduation. A very important part of college is learning to deal with problems and issues by yourself independent of your parents guidance. I was fairly certain coming into college that I wanted to go to medical school, but after getting my first quarter grades and comparing myself to other so called "premeds," I became a little wary. Over the course of the last three years, I have learned that each person takes a different path to their dreams. I have explored various career paths including research and a professional career in the biotech industry. I took me two and half out of three years to decide that I wanted to go to medical school, but my parents were there encouraging me every step of the way and supporting my decisions to stray off the beaten path.

2. Don't fret the details. College is much more competitive than most high school and no doubt your student will at some point experience their first B or maybe even their first C grade. They are going to be disappointed. However, it is important for them to know that you are there for them. Instead of reacting with a HOW did this happen?, it is always better to first offer some words of encouragement and then try to work with them to get to the root of the problem. Are they spending too much time exploring the campus, or maybe too much time playing video games. Whatever it may be I am sure that you and your student will be able to find a solution together.

3. Encourage your student to get involved. Letter of recommendation are an integral part of any application process. I was always encouraged to get involved and it has helped in me in the form of strong letters of recommendation from professors who I didn't even take classes with! In addition, my involvement has taught me valuable lessons in the way of time management and i have learned to live by the Warren College motto, Toward a Life in Balance.

Last, but certainly not least be there. It is easy to say, but sometimes hard to do. Parents can be hundreds, or even thousands of miles away. Know that just because we don't call you everyday or even every week, it doesn't mean that we don't miss you. No matter how much we grimace or make faces when you tell us that you love us, those few words with mom or dad encourage us and get us through the tough times. College is an important transition not just for students, but also for parents. For those of you who have done it before, you are wiser for it, for those who haven't I am sure you will quickly find a balance. Should you ever be worried about anything, know that we at UC San Diego and especially at Earl Warren College are a strong, tightly knit community and we care for each other like family. There are a plethora of resources available to you and your student should the need arise and a strong helpful staff to make sure they make it through their college experience safely and are able to leave knowing a little more about themselves.

-Pruthul Patel
Student Orientation Coordinator 2010
Earl Warren College, UCSD

No comments:

Post a Comment