Thursday, July 1, 2010

Major Decisions


True or False: You need to have a declared major when you enter UCSD. False! Students do not need to have a declared major upon entering UCSD, but do need to declare before completing 90 units.

True or False: Once you declare a major, you have to stick with it. False! Even after declaring a major, you have the academic freedom to change it as many times as you want as long as it does not affect your time to degree and graduate!

One of the common misconceptions for many new students and parents is that incoming students must have a declared major or even know the career path they want to pursue. While having a declared major and a career path in mind when entering UCSD are indeed great things to have, being undecided/undeclared is perfectly fine and absolutely okay! In fact, one-third of incoming students are registered as undeclared - so you are not alone! Even students who enter as declared majors end up changing majors - myself being one of them. I began as an Economics major with pre-business aspirations and after spending my first year sitting in economics and math classes, I realized that the major did not suit my interests or cater to my strengths. After one introductory communication class on whim - I was hooked, changed my major, and have never looked back!

The great thing about Warren College general education requirements is that if you are undecided, you have the opportunity to explore your academic interests. The Warren GE's require students to study subjects outside of your discipline through the Program of Concentration requirement. If you're undecided, you have the opportunity to take the political science and biology course and the opportunity to see what you enjoy and excel in more. Through trial and error, students will in the end find a passion and love for what they study- it may just take a little time!

While it is perfectly normal to have concerns about major choice and decisions in declaring a career path, I hope this blog offers you a little bit of comfort in knowing that you don't have to have an answer or decision made right away. Take classes in your interests, consult the advice our amazing advising staff, and don't be afraid of the unknown. As always, I'm here to help out and answer any questions, so please do ask questions if you have any!

Best,
Alyssa Wing

Student Orientation Coordinator
UCSD, Class of 2012
awing@ucsd.edu



1 comment:

  1. I had applied for electronic engineering and computer engineering as my major but was accepted as undeclared. Does this impact my major selection in the future and what can I do to get my major that I desire? Would I graduate with an engineering degree or is it really tough ?
    Please help.

    ReplyDelete